I know I’m a little late with it, but I needed a break from thrifty tuesday. It will be back next week, with another fabulous re-do.
I’ve been adjusting to a new schedule. I recently started a part-time job with big orange.
I am very excited about the opportunity for a couple of reasons.
1. As a DIYer, it’s like a kid working in a candy store! I really enjoy going to work there because I love all that home improvement stuff. I’m seeing all kinds of products that I never even knew I needed! I cannot wait for spring so I can get some projects started, and get my garden going!
2. I love my schedule because it still frees up most of my day, and I can be around for my kids after school. My position is one of the few with fixed hours. I also don’t work on weekends. *yay*
3. I love the interaction with other people. Being at home and running your own business can get lonely sometimes, and it’ is easy to lose touch with the professional world. I’m enjoying getting to know different personalities and their quirks.
BUT… (and you knew there was one coming)
1. If I’m not careful I could spend all my money in there, thereby defeating the purpose. Plus, I was quite disappointed to find out that there is no employee discount. Phooey!
2. Ahh, my schedule. I have to wake up at 4am to be at work by 5 am. This means coffee. Lots of coffee. It also means I’m not around in the morning to get my kids ready for school. It also means I have to be in bed really early, like 9pm, or I will be no good the next day, coffee or not. A curious thing also happens. It turns out I don’t have as much ‘free’ time as I thought I would! That morning goes by quickly and then it’s time to pick up the kiddies, which means the beginning of the evening routine, etc.
3. “Office” politics. I have never enjoyed it. ‘Nuff said.
All in all, I do find that I’m enjoying myself. Nothing is ever going to be perfect. Needless to say, I am a little off-kilter right now, but I’m adjusting. I will have to work hard to balance my part time job, my home and family responsibilities as well as AfroMartha blog and etsy. Bear with me ya’ll!
ps… the fact that I work for big orange does not mean I am obligated to endorse their products. Outside of being their wage-slave, I am not being paid to blog for them or push any of their products.