thrifty tuesdays: dresser/storage thingy…

I’m not sure what this particular piece of furniture is called, but if I had to guess I’d say it was a dresser or chifferobe of some sort. It has had 2 doors, 2 smaller drawers and 4 large drawers.

I picked this beauty up off the side of the street. From afar it looked almost new (according to its sticker it was made in 2007). I couldn’t believe someone actually threw it out. Upon closer inspection, I saw why. It had been very badly abused its owners. The drawer tracks were broken off, the doors ripped off.

Still.

I thought it was worth a second chance. It’s kind of a work in progress as it is still in need of a more permanent solution to the broken drawer glides (I have to order them online.) Even with the messed up drawer glides, it’s still very usable, and now resides in my pantry as snacks/kitchen gadget storage.

I even went out of my comfort zone and gave it a turquoise coat instead of my usual black, white or dark brown.  I am very happy with the color, as it gives a shot of color to my soon-to-be-painted all wood kitchen. I will be adding baskets into the open cavities for a neater appearance.

{I have added this project to the National {not really} Take A Risk Day link pool on thenester.com.  Be sure to visit}

Apologies for the poor photo. I could’ve sworn I took a good before photo, but apparently I didn’t so I had to crop the dresser of another pic.

Before:

PICT0322

After:

photo

Posted in: DIY

21 thoughts on “thrifty tuesdays: dresser/storage thingy…

1. Rhonda V says:

Hey Girl, You really did a job on that one. I love it. Where are you ordering the drawer glides from? I need to repair the drawer in our kitchen. Maybe I’ll grow up and be a crafty Mama like you one day.

2. Libby says:

This piece looks great! It’s amazing what paint can do.

When I was working on my kitchen, I thought I had a million cabinet doors and pieces. I had to apply 2-3 coats of sealant just to make sure those pesky knots wouldn’t bleed through the paint job. Then I found myself being overwhelmed and called in my “girl power” team and we all finished it up. I couldn’t stand looking at an unfinished kitchen for too long – I need it too much. lol

Now I’m working on bringing color to the other side of the dining space that I didn’t choose to paint (for now). The wood is in really good condition so I let it go. I think I’ll use more fabrics and such on the other side.

3. Catherine says:

Amazing find and an amazing color choice! Well worth the risk, I’d say. I am going to have to convince my boyfriend to get a pick-up truck as his next car – to be able to pick-up finds like this one! 🙂

• AfroMartha says:

thanks! Look around you, you will find stuff that can be easily transformed, and once the BF sees your first transformation he won’t have to be convinced to go, lol

4. Tauja says:

Ohh I absolutely love your dresser transformation! Found your blog via Nester’s National Risk Day! Great stuff-I’ll definitely be back!! Thanks!

• AfroMartha says:

thank you for checking me out! I look forward to doing more of these, and I wll be sure to check you out too.

5. Dee says:

Oh, I love this! Making over thrift store furniture is one of my favorite things to do. I usually don’t buy pieces with broken drawers…but I never knew you could buy drawer glides! Thanks for the info.

• AfroMartha says:

thanks for stopping by! Lowes and Home Depot sell the drawer glides, but depending on what style is currently on the piece, you may have to special order from a place like rockler.com

• AfroMartha says:

@sia, yes it is amazing, we live in such a throw-away world, people often don’t consider whether something is worth fixing before discarding.

6. Heather says:

I love love love that color. It’s so hard for me to step out of my comfort zone of brown or white. I think I might do the same and try something new!