* 1 cup water
* 2 cups sugar
* 2 cups grated apples
* 2 cups dried cranberries, cherries
* 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the water, sugar, apples, dried fruit, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and cool completely.
In a large bowl, stir the nuts and baking soda into the flour. Add the cooled mixture to the bowl, and stir until blended. Fill greased miniature muffin tins with batter to the top. Bake for 15 minutes.