I have been practicing printing on fabric using screenprinting, block printing, stamping, and stenciling. I am itching to get some products out there onto my (currently empty) Etsy store. For now I will content myself with practicing honing my craft. (Note: I don’t have pictures of my block prints here)
These prints I did on repurposed fabrics. I am really fascinated with the idea of printing on repurposed/recycled fabrics, which are abundant. I detest waste. I feel like objects have more than one life in them and I try to use what had been previously cast aside as being no longer worthy. In the following prints I’ve used fabrics that would otherwise be destined for the landfill. It was a great feeling to know that I got a little more use out of them.
The picture above shows my attempt at printing ‘ribbons’. I printed these using block stamps of my own designs that I cut by hand out of self-adhesive craft foam, I then mount the shape onto a piece of clear acrylic. (Side note: The acrylic blocks are sold in craft stores with the rubber stamping materials. Buy those if you like paying a lot of money for your things. I prefer to go the the glass/plexiglass section of home depot or lowes, as asking them to sell me their discards. I got a bunch for about $2, which I cut down to size using the plexiglass knife.) These ribbons were printed onto a deconstructed twin fitted sheet I was kind of tired of. I ripped it into strips about 2 inches wide.
The image above shows a design I drew and cut out onto plain ol’ contact paper. I used the contact paper as my stencil by sticking it onto the screen. I do this method for short run printing or when I’m just itching to print and don’t want to burn a screen. The fabric comes from a cut up pair of linen pants that Mr. AfroMartha didn’t want anymore.
I love doing repeat/allover patterns just as much as single placement patterns but they can be tricky when using the the screen printing method! The pattern above is my first attempt at a repeat. I had a hard time lining up my design on the fabric. I am going back to the drawing board to master registration before I burn any more screens. The fabric comes from an ikea curtain I purchased from the thrift store. The fabric is really nice and sturdy, and I wish I’d gotten both panels instead of one.
The ribbons again… The pink and red ribbon was hand-stamped. The fabric was some random piece of fabric I had around and decided to dye to try out the packet of iDye. The dye took pretty well, and I thought it was a nice backdrop for the stamping. My daughter begged me to dye her white sundress pink, which I did along with this fabric. It looks smashing and she loves the dress even more now, but I can’t wait to add some designs to the bottom of it. Of course I will post once it’s completed. Stay tuned…